April 09, 2011

Fashion Well Spent

So over the years, my sense of fashion was noted as terrible, poor and outrageous. It was to the point where my own siblings had to critique my outfits just so I wouldn’t look horrendous. Looking back, it was their way of teaching me the art of fashion. That being said, I began to study & understand colour, basics of trends, the ability to accessorise and learn how to dress myself. Magazines became my fashion dictionary and consistently gave me the answers to new outfits. I can understand that frustrated feeling when an outfit doesn’t “feel” right. That's what I’m here for. I’ve been through that hurdle and I’m still learning more about fashion as every day passes by. I can give you all the help you need to look & shop like a rock star.

When I’m shopping for fashion, I need to feel a magical connection with clothes before I decide to purchase or walk away. I know this sounds cliché but clothes are clothes and what sets a dress apart from a maxi is the affair and connection we have. I personally need to find some attraction otherwise they all look the same on the racks. Some of my favourite pieces include signature corporate dresses, black skirts, bright sun dresses, maxi dresses, tie-dyed clothes and the list goes on. I recently found this amazing white shirt with white puff shoulders and matched it up with a black skirt as an interview outfit. I thought it was a silly white shirt but you’ll be surprised how handy a white top can be such a lifesaver. Some favourite shops include Valley Girl, Temp, Chick-a-booti, Ice and Ally. Always remember, confidence is the key. If you're not sure if you can make it work, walk like you’re on a runway. Otherwise change it up! We don’t expect you to become an expert nor know everything first time. Fake it till you make it.

Jewellery is my weakness. From the age of 17, I have been obsessed with accessories. My obsession has occupied over two drawers in my room. But what I learnt from accessorising is that no dress or outfit should be without a necklace, ring or earrings. A headband can bring sparkle to an outfit and a bangle can add a bit of something extra without breaking your savings.

A sparkly bling doesn’t have to come from a top designer shop. My favourite accessories stores include Diva and Equip and even though their cost sale is lower than top quality bling, some of their pieces are so fantastic that people think you paid big bucks for it.

Look out for sales. If you really want something, ask yourself if you really need it. Splurge on something you think will last a long time.

The same goes for bags and shoes. Now these items aren’t something I spend a great deal on but my greatest asset would have to be a gorgeous pair of black flats which can be worn both day and night. Keep a pair with you for a night out in case heals become nasty. If you’re worried about the extra space, you can always stock up on fold up flats available from your local chemist for $10. I wear black flats everyday with all my outfits, even at night as heals aren’t my best friend. But heals are also a lovely change height-wise, but don’t wear them if they make you feel uncomfortable. Choose fun flirty colours that match your mood.

Bags are another obsession. I love the big ones for casual everyday use. They fit everything and are just so versatile. Small clutches do wonders for any closet. I have the most beautiful black clutch with a big bow and things like that always grab my attention- uniqueness is a key factor. Bags that fold down can hold more than regular purses. But my number one tip, go for the strap chain bags as you won’t have to worry about carrying around your purse all night. Let it hang down and dance the night away.

I’m not saying spend a fortune on good fashion. I’ve learnt from a lifetime of mistakes that buying more just doesn’t solve any problems, it actually creates more. Just pick and choose what reflects your personality. You don’t have to buy the whole shop. Wear what makes you feel comfortable, fashion isn’t suppose to make you feel awkward.

Well that’s it for me. I hope you enjoyed my column, keep sending in your questions. I’d love to help with your fashion dramas. Remember, practise makes perfect.


Frock On!

Fergie

1 comment:

  1. I think this section will be an asset to DHA and I look forward to reading more posts from Fergie :)

    ReplyDelete